How to remove the voice prompt from a DFPlayer Pro to make a DFPlayer Pro usable for a model railroad and certain dioramas.
Automation of your soundscape, when using the DFPlayer Pro, requires the removal of the factory installed voice prompt – a voice saying “Music” – that you hear when the player powers up.
Note in this short video clip the difference between the audio with the voice prompt intact and one with the voice prompt removed.
In the first case, after the voice prompt is heard, the player waits on the PLAY key to be triggered either by pressing on the Player button or electronic input from an external source.
In the second case, the Player acts as it would on a model grade crossing by ringing warning bells when a train enters the protected area.
Note that if you would like to get a complete sound control board like this with the prompt removed and several sound programs provided, go here.
Removal Process Details
When power is applied to the dfplayer pro, it broadcasts a voice prompt – “Music” – to the speakers. In order for you to make it play the sounds or music in its library, one must either press the play button or another external device.
This voice prompt can be removed so that the sounds/music library plays immediately when a connected, and specially programmed, Arduino Nano is powered up.
Unfortunately there is no way to make the player run without an external device. In this page we use a programmed Arduino nano connected to the Player. You can get a kit to make the controller here .
Methods For Removing Voice Prompt
In this page we show you how to remove the voice prompt.
There are three approaches to this.
One is to use a port debugging program. That process is covered in this page.
The second is to use the Arduino IDE.
And the third is to buy a Player with the prompt already removed. Click Here
Removing The Voice Prompt With The IDE
If you are going to do it yourself, an advantage to using the IDE is that the IDE is free. And extremely easy to use.
If you do not have the Arduino IDE installed get it here.
Add the DF player libraries.
The player is a UART. To be able to communicate between the player and your computer, you must use a UART converter.
To connect a UART CP2102 module to a DFPlayer Pro, you’ll need to establish a serial communication link between the two devices. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make the connection:
- Identify the necessary pins: The UART CP2102 module typically has the following pins: TX (transmit), RX (receive), VCC (power supply), and GND (ground). The DFPlayer Pro has similar pins.
- Connect the power supply: Connect the VCC pin of the CP2102 module to the Vin pin of the DFPlayer Pro..
- Connect the GND pin of the CP2102 module to the GND pin of the DFPlayer Pro.
- Connect the transmit and receive lines: Connect the TX pin of the CP2102 module to the RX pin of the DFPlayer Pro. Likewise, connect the RX pin of the CP2102 module to the TX pin of the DFPlayer Pro.
Connect the UART to your computer
Open the IDE
Go to tools and choose the board by scrolling down under :other boards and port” until you see “Arduino Pro or Po Mini”
Select the proper COM port.
Open the serial monitor.
On the right side of the screen choose Both NL & CR and Baud rate 115200
In the message box, type AT
Press enter. You will get a response “OK”.
Enter AT+PROMPT=OFF .
Press enter. You will get a response “OK”
The prompt is now removed.
This video is a visual demonstration of the same process.
Once again, you can buy a Player with the prompt already removed. Click Here
If you would like to get a complete sound control board like this with the prompt removed and several sound programs provided, go here.
- “Step-by-Step Guide: Removing Voice Prompt from DFPlayer Pro Using Arduino IDE”
- “How to Silence DFPlayer Pro Voice Prompts with Arduino IDE”
- “Quick Tutorial: Removing Voice Prompts on DFPlayer Pro with Arduino IDE”
- “DFPlayer Pro: Removing Voice Prompts Made Easy with Arduino IDE”
- “No More Voice Prompts! Removing Audio Prompts on DFPlayer Pro with Arduino IDE”
- “Arduino IDE Tutorial: Removing Voice Prompts on DFPlayer Pro in 5 Minutes”
- “DFPlayer Pro Audio Prompt Removal: A Beginner’s Guide Using Arduino IDE”
- “Removing DFPlayer Pro Voice Prompts: Simplified with Arduino IDE”
- “Complete Walkthrough: Removing Voice Prompts on DFPlayer Pro Using Arduino IDE”
- “DFPlayer Pro Audio Prompt Elimination: How to Use Arduino IDE to Remove Them”