About the series designations for PKP narrow gauge engines both steam and diesel.
PKP Steam Locomotives
Series designations for steam locomotives consisted of a series of symbols that indicated:
|Please Support Use By Going Here.|
First Symbol – Type
Second Symbol- axle System,
Third Symbol – Horsepower rating,
Fourth Symbol – Inventory number that also indicated track gauge
Narrow gauge locomotives were divided into two types:
P – Locomotives with tender,
T – Locomotives without tender (Tank locomotives). Note that this symbol was also used for tank locomotives that were used with a tender that was added without modification of the locomotive.
The axle system used was indicated by the following:
(no symbol) – two powered axles,
Y – three powered axles,
x – four powered axles,
w – five powered axles,
z – six powered axles.
when trucks (wheels to help support the weight of the cab and fire box and boiler) are used:
i – one front truck,
b – one rear truck,
n – trucks front and rear.
The power of the locomotive was marked with numerical symbol of determining the power of the locomotive: 1 – up to 60 KM 2 – 61 – 80 hp 3 – 81 – 100 hp 4 – 101 – 120 hp 5 – 121 – 150 HP 6 – 151 – 180 hp 7 – 181 – 220 KM 8 – 221 – 300 hp 9 – above 300 hp in the case of Polish origin locomotives placed the last two digits of the year of approval documentation (starting in 1920) in place of the defining symbol of power. On the other hand locomotives delivered under UNRA help Maily placed the symbol “u” in place defining symbol of the power of the locomotive.
4. Depending on the width of the track, which was adapted locomotive, given it an inventory number (train) with an appropriate range: track width of 600 mm – from 0001 to 1000 track width 750 mm – 1001 to 2000 track width 785 mm – from 2001 to 2800 track width 800 mm – from 2801 to 3000 track 1000 mm – from 3001 to 4000
Pt – Tender connected to the steam engine (in this case the locomotive Px48)
x – holding 4 axles
48 – Polish origin, approved for production in 1948.
1760 – inventory number, which should also specify the width of the track to which the tender was adapted. In this case, this number has been granted in accordance with the instructions.
Please note that the designation did not see the water tank capacity, probably because it was considered that it is a standardized design of the commonly known parameters. Fully correct designation should read the tender Pt6x48.
PKP Diesel Locomotives
Assay locomotives consisted of juxtaposed symbols indicating the sequence:
the type of locomotives,
number of axles,
type of engine,
the type of gear,
inventory number at the same time defining the width of the track, to which the locomotive was designed.
1. Diesel locomotives narrow-gauge divided into two types, namely:
L – diesel locomotives without luggage compartment,
Lf – diesel locomotives with luggage compartment.
2. To determine the number of axles of the locomotive was used symbols:
(no symbol) – 2 axles tractor carriers,
y – 3 axles tractor carriers,
x – 4-axle tractor carriers,
in – 5 axis of the drive shaft,
of – 6-axis drive shaft.
Where the axis of the roller, the above symbols are added additional symbol:
and – one front axle,
b – one rear axle,
n – the front and rear axles.
3. To determine the type of engine on the locomotive flue used the following symbols:
c – combustion engine with spark ignition,
d – the internal combustion engine ignition
and – the electric motor battery.
4. To identify the type of gear following symbols are used digital: 1 – mechanical transmission, 2 – hydraulic transmission, 3 – hydromechanical transmission, 4 – electric transmission.
5. Depending on the width of the track, which was adapted locomotive broadcast its inventory number (train) with an appropriate range: track width of 600 mm – 001 to 100 lane with a width of 750 mm – 101 to 300 track width 785 mm – 301 to 380 track width 800 mm – 381 to 400 track width 1000 mm – 401 to 500
Lyd1 L – Diesel Locomotive s – has 3 axles tractor carriers d – powered diesel engine 1 – and a mechanical gearbox 309 – the inventory number that specifies, however, that the locomotive has been adapted to track width 785 mm
Series Lyd1 counted among the following types of engines: WLs150 WLs180 (also manufactured under the name 803D)
Lyd2 locomotive s – has 3 axles tractor carriers d – powered diesel engine 2 – a hydraulic transmission
The only type of locomotives belonging to the series Lyd2 was L30H.
Plate-lxd2.JPG L – Diesel Locomotive x – 4-axle tractor carriers having a d – powered diesel engine 2 – a hydraulic transmission
The only type of locomotives belonging to the series Lxd2 was L45H.
We hope that you found the information in this page useful. The internet is all about getting and giving. And giving back is the best. Please donate $1 or more to aid us in our continuing quest to add to and polish the information in our site.